Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to report income from a rental house in a foreign country, even though I don't live in the country where the house is located?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Do I have to report income from a rental house in a foreign country, even though I don't live in the country where the house is located?

It depends

Yes - If you are a US citizen or resident alien, you are required to report all income from all sources both foreign and domestic (in USD) on your US income tax return. So you would be required to report your foreign rental income (in USD) regardless of if you don't file in the country where the rental property is located. You will report this foreign rental on Schedule E attached to your individual income tax return.

Once you have signed into your TurboTax Account (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here , then select "Take Me to My Return"), type "Schedule e" in the search bar then select "jump to Schedule e"

Please note: Property located outside the United States has a longer recovery period than property in the U.S., and you must use the Alternative Depreciation System (ADS) under MACRS. Residential rental property located in a foreign country would be depreciated over a 40-year recovery period.

No - If you are a nonresident alien, then you would only have to report US sourced income on your US 1040NR tax return. TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR. Here is a link to the IRS website for Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies