Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ISO buy and hold versus short term gain

I purchased ISOs, some of which were sold within the same year. These sales are accounted for under my 1099-B as  uncovered short term capital gains. I also included these on the comprehensive list of ISO purchases on my Form 3921. Should these ISO purchases be removed from the "ISO buy and hold" entry? When I remove one of the ISO purchases from this section, it reduces my obligation, which leads me to believe that TurboTax is double-counting the purchase and the sale. Note: the proceeds of the sales are also listed on my W-2.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

For the shares you bought and sold in the same year, you should not enter those in the "ISO buy and hold" section. There is a note about that in the program when you go to enter them:

Also, you may need to adjust the cost basis reported on your Form 1099-B to reflect the ordinary income associated with the ISO shares as on listed on your W-2 form. Often, the 1099-B will report what the shares cost you and ignore the additional amount of the discount income reported on your W-2 form. If you go through the routine in TurboTax where you let the program help you determine the correct cost basis on employee stock options you should be OK. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, @ThomasM125! This is exactly what I needed to know. This reduced my tax bill by 10%. A huge help.

Note: I am using the online version and did not receive the prompt in the first screenshot you posted, which makes sense why I was unclear.  

Many thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies