Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is the 1/3 owner who lives in my two-family rental property considered a tenant?

I own 2/3 of a two-family house.
My family member owns 1/3 and lives in one of the units. She pays me a monthly amount of money that is far below market rental rates. I pay for all expenses for the house, including mortgage, taxes, insurance, maintenance, and repairs.
Should I include her contributions as rent payments? Also, can I claim 100% of the available deductions despite her 1/3 ownership?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Is the 1/3 owner who lives in my two-family rental property considered a tenant?

The two of you need to come to an agreement on allocation of costs and deductions based on the 2/3 - 1/3 arrangement.

@andyboyle 

We do have an agreement on the allocation of costs and deductions.  I'm trying to figure out if her contributions should be treated as rent payments or not.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If the 1/3 owner is on the title to the property, their payments to you would not be "rent." Instead, these payments offset the expenses that you pay. 

This activity would not be considered a rental. You may report the mortgage interest and property taxes under Your Home in TurboTax. But the other expenses are not deductible.

However, if the other party is NOT on the title to the property, this activity would be considered renting part of your home. But since the rental payments are below fair market for your area, you would still be limited to reporting only mortgage interest and property taxes (100%). And the rental payments would be reported as Other Miscellaneous Income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies