turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

knownoise
Returning Member

Shared living expenses vs rental income

I own my primary residence, paying mortgage interest and property tax, and all other costs.  I want to lower my expenses by finding a housemate.  Is the money contributed by the housemate considered taxable rental income or shared living expenses that I don't have to report?

I have read a few questions and answers and am aware of the rules in in IRS Publication 523 on page 16 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf#page=16.

What's not clear to me is if my activity will considered as a rental activity and what I need to do to avoid being classified as conducting rental activity.

If I do the following, will it be sufficient to prove that I am not conducting a rental activity?

1. Make it clear when I am looking for the housemate that I am not trying to make a profit, only want to lower my expenses.

2. Charge less than total expense (or 1/2 of total expense?)

If the market rent for a one bedroom apartment in my area is $2000 and my house is 3 bedroom and my total expense is $2500, what amount I charge would make it a for-profit rental activity?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
view2

Shared living expenses vs rental income

Is My Residential Rental Income Taxable and/or Are My Expenses Deductible?

This interview will help you determine if your residential rental income is taxable and/or if your basic expenses associated with the rental property are deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies