Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Investment property rental

If my rental home hasn't been collect rented in the last 16 months, Tenants live at the property don't want to pay rent and don't want to move out, still waiting for the court to evict. do I still have to claim it as an investment property? I have had no income from this property in the last 16 months. The property still have some depreciation and property taxes expense etc.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can still claim the property as being held for rental use (i.e., as rental property, deducting the same, typical rental expenses, including depreciation) since nothing has changed other than the tenants breaching the lease agreement as a result of nonpayment of rent.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You can still claim the property as being held for rental use (i.e., as rental property, deducting the same, typical rental expenses, including depreciation) since nothing has changed other than the tenants breaching the lease agreement as a result of nonpayment of rent.

On Turbotax question " Was this Property Rented for all of 2022? I should check box Yes, this property was rented all year.  Since I did not collect any Rent payment for 16 months.  Thanks

Yes, if the property was actually rented or available for rent all year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies