Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Investing in Dividend Stock as an S corporation vs a an Individual

Would there be any tax advantages if I bought stocks through an S corporation rather than as an individual? I want to purchase dividend stocks such as those from the Dividend Aristocrats, QYLD, ect… I initially will reinvest the stock dividends for a couple of years before starting to live off the dividends. At this time I don’t plan to sell the dividend stock, but would like to know if there are any tax saving advantages from living off the dividends and selling the stock as an S corporation rather than as an individual. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@moriej32 wrote:

Would there be any tax advantages if I bought stocks through an S corporation rather than as an individual?

There would be little to no advantage, in terms of income taxes, as the dividends would be pro rata share items and passed through to you (at 100% if you are the sole shareholder) on your K-1.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@moriej32 wrote:

Would there be any tax advantages if I bought stocks through an S corporation rather than as an individual?

There would be little to no advantage, in terms of income taxes, as the dividends would be pro rata share items and passed through to you (at 100% if you are the sole shareholder) on your K-1.

there actually can be a disadvantage depending on the state.  some impose an income tax on the S-Corp earnings.  in addition, that state income tax would likely need to be reported on schedule A of your 1040 rather than schedule E.

as others have said each year the S-Corp income would pass through to the shareholders and be taxed as if they earned the income directly.

they would face a problem of having to come up with $$$ to pay the income taxes on the S-Corp income

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies