Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inherited home sold

I just sold my mom's home, which I inherited last year.  We had the house appraised at date of death.  I sold the home for $60000 more than that appraised amount.  How do I compute the capital gains taxes that I will now owe?  My understanding is that I will need to pay the capital gains on just the amount over the appraisal at date of death.  Please clarify as I was going to send an estimated payment so I don't get charged interest for not paying in a timely manner.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Inherited home sold

@mmoorefam4 wrote:

How do I compute the capital gains taxes that I will now owe?

If $60,000 is your net long-term capital gain (long-term because the property was acquired from a decedent), then you can use TaxCaster (link below) to get an idea of your tax liability. Note that TaxCaster has not been updated for the 2021 tax year.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

@mmoorefam4 wrote:

Please clarify as I was going to send an estimated payment so I don't get charged interest for not paying in a timely manner.

You will not owe a penalty for underpaying your estimated tax if:

1) The total tax shown on your 2021 return minus the amount of tax you paid through withholding is less than $1,000. 

OR

2) You pay at least the smaller of 90% of your 2021 tax, or 100% (110% if your adjusted gross income (AGI) for 2020 was more than $150,000 ($75,000 if your 2019 filing status is married filing separately)) of your 2020 tax.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i2210#idm140032291297136

Inherited home sold

sorry for your loss. you are correct. the holding period is automatically long-term.  the gain is the sales price less sales expenses less the Fair Market value on the date of her death

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies