Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inherited additional Share - How to Adjust Depreciation Cost Basis for Rental Property

Greetings for 2020!

I owned part share and have been reporting and depreciating a overseas rental property from 01/01/2015 for 40 years with ALT method. 

In 2019 I received additional 15% share of the property as inheritance.

What is the simplest way to adjust the Schedule E Asset Worksheets and be able to claim additional depriciation ?

I want to avoid having to place a new asset in service as it is same rental property that will continue to receive income and I already have prior depriciation.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Inherited additional Share - How to Adjust Depreciation Cost Basis for Rental Property

You should add it as a new asset, just as you would if you made an addition to the property.  You will link it to the existing property so the depreciation will show up on the same schedule E.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@coolcarn1sam wrote:

I want to avoid having to place a new asset in service as it is same rental property that will continue to receive income and I already have prior depriciation.

I understand your concern completely, but it is difficult to figure how you can avoid that scenario since there will be a different basis and placed-in-service date.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You should add it as a new asset, just as you would if you made an addition to the property.  You will link it to the existing property so the depreciation will show up on the same schedule E.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies