Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tarrytown
Returning Member

Inconsistency between Vehicle Summary and Rental Summary amounts

I am using TuroTax Premier 2023 desktop application (Windows 10) to fill out my federal taxes (1040), on section Wages & Income. I am inputting information regarding a rental property and see that on the Rental Summary, there is a vehicle expense (mileage or actual) of amount $412.  However, when clicking "Update" to go to the Vehicle Summary page and filling out this information, and opting to use "Actual Expense" instead of "Standard Mileage", the amount shown in the Vehicle Summary page is a deduction of $1,406.

Why are the values different between the Vehicle summary and the Rental Summary? I have tried to save and restart TurboTax application and take the latest update, as well as re-filling out this information. Could you please help understand this is the case, should these two values be the same? 

capture1.PNG

capture2.PNG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Inconsistency between Vehicle Summary and Rental Summary amounts

The amount on Schedule E Line 6a (Auto Expense) is net of depreciation, which appears on Line 18a. Review the information for the vehicle to see if the difference between the Vehicle Summary page and Vehicle Expenses represents the depreciation expense for the year. This may be easier to see using Forms Mode.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies