Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2016 I lived in my house the first 10 months of the year, then rented it the last 2 months of the year.

What information regarding the 1098 form do I put in on the Wages & Income tab, and what information do I put on the Deductions & Credits tab? (i.e. Mortgage insurance premiums, real estate taxes, mortgage interest received from payer(s))
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

In 2016 I lived in my house the first 10 months of the year, then rented it the last 2 months of the year.

In the rental section, you will prorate each deduction, using two month's worth as a rental deduction and the balance will go on schedule A . An easy way to do the math is to divide each deduction by 12 and then multiply by two.

1. Search for rentals and then click the "Jump to" link in the search result.
  2. Answer Yes to the question Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses?
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions as you proceed through the rental and royalties section.
  • We'll first ask you to enter general information about your rental (description, address, ownership percentage, etc.) 
  • Eventually, you'll come to the Rental Summary screen which is where you enter your:
    • Rental income
    • Rental expenses
    • Capital assets and depreciation
    • Vehicle expenses

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

In the rental section, you will prorate each deduction, using two month's worth as a rental deduction and the balance will go on schedule A . An easy way to do the math is to divide each deduction by 12 and then multiply by two.

1. Search for rentals and then click the "Jump to" link in the search result.
  2. Answer Yes to the question Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses?
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions as you proceed through the rental and royalties section.
  • We'll first ask you to enter general information about your rental (description, address, ownership percentage, etc.) 
  • Eventually, you'll come to the Rental Summary screen which is where you enter your:
    • Rental income
    • Rental expenses
    • Capital assets and depreciation
    • Vehicle expenses

Thank you, this is very helpful. One more question in this area...What amount do I put in the "Report Mortgage Interest" for the interest paid? Do I divide this out or leave it as the entire amount off of the 1098 Form, Line 1?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You will have to prorate the amount between the rental and personal use.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies