Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

if i've download my 1099-b from my broker do i have to fill out the shedule k-1 form in turbotax again

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

if i've download my 1099-b from my broker do i have to fill out the shedule k-1 form in turbotax again

certain of your sales reported on the 1099-B may involve the sale of a publicly traded partnership or master limited partnership. for each partnership whether sold or not, the k-1 must be entered.

sale of a PTP?MLP is a bit complicated

here are some instructions

MLP reporting k-1 and 8949

Please follow these instructions. Incorrect entries can result in entering the sale twice or otherwise incorrectly. Also see the sales schedule that was included with the k-1

Enter the k-1 info
Check the PTP box
If total disposition proceed as follows:
Check final K-1 (s/b marked on actual k-1)
Check sold or otherwise disposed of entire interest
Use QuickZoom to get to the following section

On the k-1 disposition section for sales price use the ordinary income (sometimes you’ll see a column with the “751” or the words ”gain subject to recapture as ordinary income”
Cost is zero
Ordinary income is the sales price.
This info flows to form 4797 line 10 and is taxed as ordinary income.

Now for the 8949.
The broker’s form is probably coded as B or E – sales proceeds but not cost basis reported to the IRS. This is because the broker does not track the tax basis. It used what you paid originally which is not the correct.

The correct tax basis is:
What you paid originally, should be the same as what is on 8949,
Then there is a column on the sales schedule that says cumulative adjustment to basis. If it’s positive add it to the original cost. If it’s negative subtract the amount
Finally add the amount of ordinary income reported above.
The result is your corrected cost basis for form 8949.

Some other things. Look at lines 20Z1. That number should be added to the ordinary income above for reporting the 199A (qualified business income from the PTP). You don’t have to enter this but the you lose out on a tax deduction = 20% of this amount.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Please clarify. 

• Are the 1099-B trades reported on your K-1? 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

YES

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would enter the 1099-B in both places. 

• The broker reports the sale as if the investment was not a PTP. 
  • In order to prevent the double taxation, the sale reported on the 1099-B needs to be adjusted.  
  • I recommend you adjust the cost basis so that it equals the proceeds.  There will be no gain or loss on that transaction, but the reported amounts will agree with amounts reported to IRS. 

Source: Expert DavidD66

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The above works ONLY if 1) the entire sale was short-term or long-term (can't be both) AND 2) the sale was a complete disposition (not a partial sale).  Otherwise, you need to adjust the cost basis in the 1099-B interview to handle any Cap Gain/Loss, and use the K--1 interview to handle Ordinary Income (if any) but NOT the cap gain.  This link discusses it more fully:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/how-i-report-the-sale...

**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

certain of your sales reported on the 1099-B may involve the sale of a publicly traded partnership or master limited partnership. for each partnership whether sold or not, the k-1 must be entered.

sale of a PTP?MLP is a bit complicated

here are some instructions

MLP reporting k-1 and 8949

Please follow these instructions. Incorrect entries can result in entering the sale twice or otherwise incorrectly. Also see the sales schedule that was included with the k-1

Enter the k-1 info
Check the PTP box
If total disposition proceed as follows:
Check final K-1 (s/b marked on actual k-1)
Check sold or otherwise disposed of entire interest
Use QuickZoom to get to the following section

On the k-1 disposition section for sales price use the ordinary income (sometimes you’ll see a column with the “751” or the words ”gain subject to recapture as ordinary income”
Cost is zero
Ordinary income is the sales price.
This info flows to form 4797 line 10 and is taxed as ordinary income.

Now for the 8949.
The broker’s form is probably coded as B or E – sales proceeds but not cost basis reported to the IRS. This is because the broker does not track the tax basis. It used what you paid originally which is not the correct.

The correct tax basis is:
What you paid originally, should be the same as what is on 8949,
Then there is a column on the sales schedule that says cumulative adjustment to basis. If it’s positive add it to the original cost. If it’s negative subtract the amount
Finally add the amount of ordinary income reported above.
The result is your corrected cost basis for form 8949.

Some other things. Look at lines 20Z1. That number should be added to the ordinary income above for reporting the 199A (qualified business income from the PTP). You don’t have to enter this but the you lose out on a tax deduction = 20% of this amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies