Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I rent out 3 bedrooms in my 4 bedroom house, do I report each bedroom rental income separately or all together?

If 3 out of 4 bedrooms in my home are available for rent all year but occasionally vacant with no personal use, would that be 1,065 fair rental days (3 X 365) or do you combine the rooms to 365 fair rental days?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I rent out 3 bedrooms in my 4 bedroom house, do I report each bedroom rental income separately or all together?

You can enter the actual days rented, or 365 (366 for 2016).

If you will ever use one or more rooms for personal use, you may want to report them as separate rental properties.  If they will always be only for rent, lumping them together is fine.

Are they rented out long-term, or short-term?  Do you provide any "services", such a cleaning their rooms, meals, or concierge services?  If services like that are provided, it may be a Schedule C business, rather than a Schedule E rental property.

hi, if i report them together and my airbnb statement says room 1 rented 200 days and room 2 rented 300 days, do i add them together to say 500 rental days?  can i exceed 365 days?

No, the program will not let you enter more than 365 days (or 366 days in a leap year).  If you don't have any personal use, the number of days entered doesn't affect anything (unless it is less than 15 days), so just enter 365.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies