Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I rent just the storage& parking units owned by a LLC,& NOT the apartment I live in,can I report just this income?MUST/CAN I depreciate just the storage&parking units?

I am sole member of the LLC that owns the apartment I live in, the storage unit, and the parking unit; and the purchase agreement had separate prices for each item, and I am wondering if I can depreciate just the storage and parking unit prices if I rent out just the storage and parking units and I'm allowed to declare just rent from these two sources. I also wonder if I can choose to not depreciate the price of the the storage and parking units, and rather just depreciate the entire price of the apartment, storage, parking at a later date if and when I rent out the apartment in the future? I believe a downside is that the depreciation I was allowed on the storage and parking units, would still be deducted from the purchase price, which would increase my gain upon any future sale and hence capital gains tax (the depreciation recapture). But, if I don't plan to sell the apartment for many future (eg 30) years, then can I just start claiming depreciation on the entire apartment, storage, and parking LATER if I rent out the whole apartment, and would this be the cleanest way?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

If I rent just the storage& parking units owned by a LLC,& NOT the apartment I live in,can I report just this income?MUST/CAN I depreciate just the storage&parking units?

I am sole member of the LLC that owns the apartment I live in

That means the LLC, which is considered a disregarded entity by the IRS, files a SCH C as a physical part of your personal 1040 tax return. However, rental income is passive income and gets reported on SCH E as a physical part of your 1040 tax return. Under no circumstances and with no exceptions will you report anything concerning the rental property on SCH C. There are no exceptions. It gets reported on SCH E. Therefore, absolutely nothing concerning the rental gets reported on the SCH C. Not one penny.

By federal law you are required to depreciate the rental property on SCH E. Doesn't matter that it's "just a parking unit". If it's a bare peice of raw land that you collect rent for, that raw land isn't depreciated by itself anyway. But you'd list it in the asset section as rental real estate. Then enter the same exact cost basis in"cost of land" as you enter in the "cost" box. That will show the IRS that you are "in fact" claiming the asset. But since it's just raw land it's not depreciated.

Now if there's a structure on that land that a vehicle is parked under, you have no choice but to depreciate the value of the structure. It's really not up for discussion. The IRS says that if you don't depreciate your rental property, then in the tax year you sell or otherwise dispose of it, you are required to reduce your cost basis by the depreciation you "should" have taken, but didn't. This will most likely put you in a higher tax bracket, and that's basically your penalty for not having depreciated it as required.

What you may or may not do in the future has no bearing on what you're required to do today.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies