turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doug12

If I listed an empty home for sale for 5 months,listed it for rent for 120 days, rented it 62 days, had no personal day use, can I deduct all the expenses for the year?

The home was rented for about 13 months (all of the previous year).  Then at the end of January of the tenants moved out. I listed it for rent until May, and then with it empty I listed it for sale for 5 months. It did not sell it and new tenants moved in December 1st.  I am not sure which expenses I can claim on Schedule E.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

If I listed an empty home for sale for 5 months,listed it for rent for 120 days, rented it 62 days, had no personal day use, can I deduct all the expenses for the year?

As long as you did not convert it to personal use during 2015, it remained a rental property while it was rented, while it was listed for rent but vacant, and while it was listed for sale. 

You can deduct all normal rental costs for the entire year, just as if it had been occupied by tenants.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4209856

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ToddL

As long as you did not convert it to personal use during 2015, it remained a rental property while it was rented, while it was listed for rent but vacant, and while it was listed for sale. 

You can deduct all normal rental costs for the entire year, just as if it had been occupied by tenants.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4209856

doug12

Excellent answer.
ToddL

Thank you! My pleasure.
Carl
Level 15

If this property continues to sit empty until you sell it in 2016 (assuming you do sell it, of course) then when you work this through the 2016 TT program you're going to have conflict. I would suggest you bookmark this thread for next year so you can "continue" where you left off at that time. Having the above history will save time in helping you "get it right" next year. 🙂
view2

" new tenants moved in December 1st. "
Carl
Level 15

Got it. Thanks. So he'll be fine.
doug12

I adjusted all of my expenses for only the time period (183 days), which I was trying to rent it or had it rented. TT is giving me a full year depreciation for the home, stove, carpet, etc.?  Should I change my business % use to effect depreciation deduction?  Do a get a full year of depreciation?
Carl
Level 15

That's correct. The property was classified as rental real estate for the entire year, you did not live in it for one single day of that year, so your depreciation is for the entire year. Days sat empty between renters doesn't matter since you were actively trying to sell/rent it.
doug12

I will leave it 100% business use.  Thanks Carl!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies