Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I liquidate a mixed portfolio with $8,000 realized taxable gains & $-10,000 unrealized loss, can that full amount be used to offset all realized gains for the year?

This non-qualified trust account includes short- and long-term gains/losses, dividends, and interest. Would liquidating the entire portfolio result in a zero-taxable investment event?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I liquidate a mixed portfolio with $8,000 realized taxable gains & $-10,000 unrealized loss, can that full amount be used to offset all realized gains for the year?

Would liquidating the entire portfolio result in a zero-taxable investment event? 

liquidating the portfolio to realize the $10K loss will offset the $8K realized capital gains and leave $2K of loss to be used against any other net realized capital gains you have for the year. if none then the $2K can be used to offset other taxable income.  whether the "trust" net income nets to zero or some positive amount or negative amount will depend on the ordinary investment income earned for the year.  so if the dividends and interest are $3K that would leave $1k of income if dividends and interest are $1K that will leave $1K of loss left over to offset any other of your income   

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies