Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I bought two homes this year in January from same man but we did it "Seller financing" not through a mortgage company, do I own or rent when the question is asked?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

If I bought two homes this year in January from same man but we did it "Seller financing" not through a mortgage company, do I own or rent when the question is asked?

If you bought the two homes, then you are the owner, regardless of whether or not your purchase was financed with a mortgage. Your name will be on the deeds, not the seller's.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  You should be the owner of the home in a purchase situation even though it is seller financed.  Check with your seller to see if they had their lawyer create a mortgage or simply a contract where the deed changes to your name later.

Also, once you know how it is set up, you can use the amortization schedule that shows the interest - principal breakdown. 

The interest paid to the seller should be reported to them by you using Form 1099-INT.  You are the payer and your seller is the recipient.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies