turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked for a property management co, received discounted rent for my apt, the amt covered byemployer shows as TXHSE under box 14 on my W2, how do I rpt this on W2 info

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I worked for a property management co, received discounted rent for my apt, the amt covered byemployer shows as TXHSE under box 14 on my W2, how do I rpt this on W2 info

If the housing allowance you received from your employer was for "Lodging on Your Business Premises" then it would be excluded from income. The IRS rules state the following:

You can exclude the value of lodging you furnish to an employee from the employee's wages if it meets the following tests.

• It is furnished on your business premises
  • It is furnished for your convenience. 
  • The employee must accept it as a condition of employment. 

[Edited 03.17.2019 | 1:43 PM pst]

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

If the housing allowance you received from your employer was for "Lodging on Your Business Premises" then it would be excluded from income. The IRS rules state the following:

You can exclude the value of lodging you furnish to an employee from the employee's wages if it meets the following tests.

• It is furnished on your business premises
  • It is furnished for your convenience. 
  • The employee must accept it as a condition of employment. 

[Edited 03.17.2019 | 1:43 PM pst]

Turbo tax did show this as Other - not on above list, which treats this entry as non-taxable.  What I'm trying to confirm is whether this housing allowance IS a taxable event, and if so, how to reflect it in the W2.
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I apologize for misunderstanding your question. Please see my edited answer. I hope you find this helpful.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies