Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sublet my apartment that I do not own. My subletter paid the rental company directly during the subleasing period. Does this count as *my* income?

I was out of the country for a while so I sublet my apartment for 8 months. I sublet my apartment through the rental company that I rent from, (my subletter wrote up a subleasing agreement with my rental company) and my subletter arranged monthly rent payments with the rental company directly, so that I was not involved in the exchange of rental money between my subletter and the rental company. I did, however, collected one month's rent as security deposit for the duration of the sublease then returned it at the end.

Does the monthly payments my subletter made to the rental company for 8 months still count as *my* income? 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

I sublet my apartment that I do not own. My subletter paid the rental company directly during the subleasing period. Does this count as *my* income?

No, the rental payments made from the rental party to the management company is not considered your income. You were not involved in any aspect of collecting or renting out your apartment. You do not need to claim any of this on your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
WillK
Intuit Alumni

No, the rental payments made from the rental party to the management company is not considered your income. You were not involved in any aspect of collecting or renting out your apartment. You do not need to claim any of this on your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies