Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lewisba65

I sold stock and reinvested 100% through a different brokerage account. How do I record this (assuming I don't have to pay tax)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I sold stock and reinvested 100% through a different brokerage account. How do I record this (assuming I don't have to pay tax)?

If you sold stock, you should receive Form 1099-B reporting these transactions, assuming the transactions were not within a Retirement Account.

Even though you reinvested 100% of the proceeds, you will still need to report the transactions on Form 8949 of your Tax Return.  The difference between the sales proceeds and your cost basis of the stock will be reported as either a gain or loss on the sale.

Check out the TurboTax FAQ below for instructions on entering your Form 1099-B

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4789365

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Once you sell, redeploying the assets into something else, or even the same security, is irrelevant.
But if you repurchase the same security immediately, you may have a wash sale.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

If you sold stock, you should receive Form 1099-B reporting these transactions, assuming the transactions were not within a Retirement Account.

Even though you reinvested 100% of the proceeds, you will still need to report the transactions on Form 8949 of your Tax Return.  The difference between the sales proceeds and your cost basis of the stock will be reported as either a gain or loss on the sale.

Check out the TurboTax FAQ below for instructions on entering your Form 1099-B

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4789365

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies