turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

robben25

I sold my rental property for approximately $100,000 more than my cost basis. Why is this not calculating at the 15% capital gains rate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I sold my rental property for approximately $100,000 more than my cost basis. Why is this not calculating at the 15% capital gains rate?

It depends on your holding period and your overall tax rate.

First, capital gains treatment for the sale of Rental Property requires that you owned the property for more than one year.  

Also, the capital gains tax rate usually depends on your income. The maximum net capital gain tax rate is 20 percent for those taxpayers in the highest tax bracket (39.6%). However, for most taxpayers a zero or 15 percent rate will apply. If you have income over $250,000, an additional 3.8% is added for net investment tax.

You can review the calculation of your capital gains tax on Schedule D Tax Worksheet, a TurboTax worksheet that is included in your complete tax return (see instructions here: How do I print a copy of my TurboTax Online return before filing?). If the results are not what you expect, return to the interview where you reported the same and review your entries.

Additional Information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies