turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

flynjack

I sold all my USAA Roth IRAs this year because all USAA investment customers had to move to Schwab. Schwab said I have a loss. where do I report this?

All USAA investment customers had to sell their investments and move to Charles Schwab.  Schwab sent me an end of year gain/loss report and is says I have over $2k in short-term losses and over $13k in long term losses.  Do I include this somewhere on my tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

I sold all my USAA Roth IRAs this year because all USAA investment customers had to move to Schwab. Schwab said I have a loss. where do I report this?

By "selling" all your USAA Roth IRAs, do you mean you withdrew them from the IRA accounts and deposited them in traditional investment accounts (non-IRA) or did you transfer the funds to Roth IRAs managed by Schwab?

flynjack

Hello Todd. The USAA Roth IRAs were Sold and the money transferred to Schwab to purchase Roth IRAs through them. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

A Roth IRA is an account.  You can't sell the account.  The investments in the account can be sold.  The funds can also be taken out of the account as a distribution or rolled over to a different Roth IRA account.   Unless you took action and withdrew your funds from your ROTH IRAs, they would have moved to Roth IRAs with Schwab.  The investments inside the account may have been liquidated, but that would not have been a reportable or taxable transaction.  If there was something to report, you would have received a Form 1099-R.  If you have questions about what actually transpired, I suggest you contact USAA and/or Schwab.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies