Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

standena1

I sold a rental property. Overall, (2016 rent, prior yr passive activity loss, and sale), there was a loss. Turbotax didn't separate bldg and land on F4797.

Facts:
-Bought home in 2008 for 75,000.
-Was my main home until 2012.  
-Converted to rental property in March 2012.
-Depreciated using value as of March 2012 (55,000 total, which I allocted 55.76% to building and 44.24% to land).
-Sold in May 2016 for 77,175
-selling expenses total 6,393
-Depreciation deduction taken total 4,323

Since it is a converted property, my basis for a gain is my original cost (75K) and my basis for a loss is the FMV at time of conversion (55K).  How do I prepare Form 4797 to report this properly between building and land?  How do I do this on turbotax?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

I sold a rental property. Overall, (2016 rent, prior yr passive activity loss, and sale), there was a loss. Turbotax didn't separate bldg and land on F4797.

It sounds like you have all the information you'll need to report the sale of your rental. If you've had a passive loss carryover, you'll need that info also. If you've used TurboTax to claim your rental you should be OK to go following the instructions below. When you enter the rental itself as an asset, TurboTax will ask you to allocate so much for the building and so much for the land.

If you have any other details regarding this question, please feel free to post them in the comment section.

The sale of Rental Property is reported under Wages & Income >> Rental Properties. You will nee...

If you did not use TurboTax last year, you will need to first enter the property under Assets/Depreciation, then record the sale from the Rental Summary screen.

Access this area of TurboTax under Federal Taxes >> Wages & Income  >> Rental Properties & Royalties.

As you work through the interview sequence, be sure to check the circle beside "I sold or disposed of this property in 2016". (see first screenshot below). You can revisit that section again if you did not.

At the end of the interview, you should see the Rental Property Summary screen (screenshot #2 below). Click Start next to "Sale of Property" and work through the interview sequence. Be sure you mark the asset as sold with the date of the sale (screenshot #3 below). Here is a list of selling expenses: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2812316. You may also include the cost of repairs needed in order to close. Repairs prior to listing the property are included under Rental Expenses.

Complete the interview and TurboTax will calculate the Gain/Loss on the sale based on your input.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies