Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rent out my home that has a mortgage and don’t really make anything. How do I put this on my taxes without hurt myself?

Also, any deductions for Cystic Fibrosis (children)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I rent out my home that has a mortgage and don’t really make anything. How do I put this on my taxes without hurt myself?

First you must upgrade to Premier to enter rental income, expenses, depreciation, etc.

When did you start renting it out?  The cash flow is irrelevant for tax purposes, as you cannot deduct mortgage principal, only interest. 

• Go to My Account > Tools > Topic Search
  • Type rental in the search box and click Go.
  • Answer Yes to Do you want to review your rental and royalty information.
  • Proceed through the entire interview to enter your rental property information and enter income and expenses.
  • View solution in original post

2 Replies

First you must upgrade to Premier to enter rental income, expenses, depreciation, etc.

When did you start renting it out?  The cash flow is irrelevant for tax purposes, as you cannot deduct mortgage principal, only interest. 

• Go to My Account > Tools > Topic Search
  • Type rental in the search box and click Go.
  • Answer Yes to Do you want to review your rental and royalty information.
  • Proceed through the entire interview to enter your rental property information and enter income and expenses.
  • I rent out my home that has a mortgage and don’t really make anything. How do I put this on my taxes without hurt myself?

There are no special Federal deductions for Cystic Fibrosis, other than the usual Medical ones.
    message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies