masters21

I rent a part of my house. Is it better to apportion mortgage to rental or claim full mortgage/real estate taxes etc in deductions?

I have a loss on the rental without applying the apportioned mortgage interest.

PaulaM

Allocate the proportionate share of the mortgage interest/property taxes to each section-rental and personal.

Under the Property Profile, indicate that you rented a part of your home on the page, Do Any of These Situations Apply to This Property? 

Continue until reaching the page, Let Us Calculate Your Expense Deductions for You. If you select yes, then TurboTax will compute the rental portion of your expenses.  If choosing 'yes', then you won't enter the mortgage/property taxes in the personal side. TurboTax will do it for you.

If you select no, then you will enter do the math and enter just the rental portion. Then navigate to the Your Home section on the personal side, to enter the personal share of those expenses.

PaulaM