turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

psemarocco
Returning Member

I received money to cover water damage in the home I rent,is this considered extra income?

How do i report money received from insurance if I did not do the repairs?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I received money to cover water damage in the home I rent,is this considered extra income?

Report it as rent on the Sch E then the expenses to make the repairs are also taken on the Sch E ... that is how they get offset. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

but OP says they didn't make repairs so there is no offset

Carl
Level 15

All income received for rental property from any source for any reason (including an insurance payout) is included in rental income. How it's offset depends on what that money is used for. If it's used for something classified as a repair to that rental property, then it's a repair expense and is deducted as such.

If it's used for something classified as a property improvement (as is most likely your case) then it's entered as a property improvement in the assets/depreciation section and gets depreciated over 27.5 years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies