Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

meliseoz

I receive music royalties for intellectual property created by me, as part of my business, but all income is listed in box 2 of my 1099-misc. Where do I enter this?

I received royalty income for intellectual property created as part of my business (music royalties through a publishing group). When entering it in schedule E, it says to classify it as business income but when filling out my 1099-misc there is nowhere to enter information from box 2, Royalties.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I receive music royalties for intellectual property created by me, as part of my business, but all income is listed in box 2 of my 1099-misc. Where do I enter this?

Yes, these types of royalties should be reported on Schedule C

The 1099-MISC entry page in the Business Income section displays Box 2 Royalties (see screenshot #1 below - click to enlarge). You may also enter this as General Income, which appears on the Business Income summary page under income from 1099-MISC (screenshot #2). Either is acceptable, as long as you report all your business income.

To find this section of TurboTax Self-Employed, click the Business tab, Continue, "I'll Choose What I Work On," then click on Update beside Business Income and Expense. Click "Edit" beside your business, then Start/Update beside Business Income. This page allows you to enter 1099-MISC or General Income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies