Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lizzzyk

I pay for allof my expenses except i live with ex who pays all the bills for the house and mortgage, can he claim me as a dependent?

I live with my ex boyfriend as we split up a year ago.  I am living here until I can afford to get an apartment.  He pays for the house and the utilities.  That is all he pays as far as I am concerned.  I pay for my car, food and credit card bills and school loans.  Can he claim me as a dependent on his tax returns?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I pay for allof my expenses except i live with ex who pays all the bills for the house and mortgage, can he claim me as a dependent?

It appears from the information that he did not provide more than half of your support. In this case, he cannot claim you as a dependent.

In any case, if you had income of more than $4,150 in 2018, he cannot claim you as a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

I don't think it's clear yet whether you provide more than half your own support. But the support test is academic, if you had more than $4150 of income in 2018. See the full rules for claiming a dependent, below. If the other 5 tests are met and it comes down to the support test, The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf The support value of a home is the fair market rental value, plus utilities, divided by the number of occupants. Providing the home usually means he provided more than half your support.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4150 ($4,050 in 2016-17)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies