turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cindyg1

I own rental property and pay a management company to rent it out. My tenant pays $1600/math but I only make a $200 profit. Do I claim the full amount as income or just the $200 as income please advise.

How do i claim my HOA FEES
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

I own rental property and pay a management company to rent it out. My tenant pays $1600/math but I only make a $200 profit. Do I claim the full amount as income or just the $200 as income please advise.

You will include the full amount of the rental income for the year (not your net rental income) when reporting your rental income on Schedule E.

You will be able to claim rental expenses against this rental income under the rental expenses section. You can claim rental expenses related to mortgage interest, insurance, property taxes, property management fees, any utilities you pay on the rental, any repairs and HOA fees (include HOA fees as other miscellaneous rental expenses) just to name a few.

Also make sure to include your rental property (less the cost of land) under the rental assets section.

For rental real estate, you report rental income (and related rental expenses) on Schedule E.

Once you have signed into your TurboTax Account (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here , then select "Take Me to My Return"), type "Schedule e" in the search bar then select "jump to Schedule e". (This may require an upgrade.)

Alternatively, to enter this rental real estate information in TurboTax Online (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here , then select "Take Me to My Return") or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Business" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages & Income” ("Business Income and Expense" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on" or see more income
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Rental Properties and Royalties”
  5. Choose “Rental Properties and Royalties” and select “start’ (or “update” is you have already worked on this section) 

Enter your rental property information through the TurboTax guided questions. Just remember to add your rental property under the asset section so that you can get your correct depreciation expense deducted for your rental. (The IRS assumes that you will take the correct amount of depreciation on your rental every year regardless of if you take it or not).

Here is a link that can provide you with helpful information related to your rental property 

TurboTax - Tips on Real Estate Taxes and Real Property

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies