turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own a rental home that recently needed extensive exterior repairs. It cost $25k to fully rebuild two chimneys and then another $18K to repaint the entire house. I see categories in the "asset depreciation" section, but none that truly match my situati

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I own a rental home that recently needed extensive exterior repairs. It cost $25k to fully rebuild two chimneys and then another $18K to repaint the entire house. I see categories in the "asset depreciation" section, but none that truly match my situati

The $25k must be depreciated as it is an improvement. The recovery period is 27.5 years.

How Do You Treat Repairs and Improvements? If you improve depreciable property, you must treat the improvement as separate depreciable property. Improvement means an addition to or partial replacement of property that is a betterment to the property, restores the property, or adapts it to a new or different use. See section 1.263(a)-3 of the regulations. You generally deduct the cost of repairing business property in the same way as any other business expense. However, if the cost is for a betterment to the property, to restore the property, or to adapt the property to a new or different use, you must treat it as an improvement and depreciate it. Example. You repair a small section on one corner of the roof of a rental house. You deduct the cost of the repair as a rental expense. However, if you completely replace the roof, the new roof is an improvement because it is a restoration of the building. You depreciate the cost of the new roof.

The painting can be added to the improvement if it directly tied in to chimney repair or if unrelated can be an expense.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies