turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swaju01

I own a commercial bldg that is a self-rental (my biz rents it). Need to add asset (bldg improv) to depreciate. How do I add commercial asset (39 year dep, not 27.5 yrs)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I own a commercial bldg that is a self-rental (my biz rents it). Need to add asset (bldg improv) to depreciate. How do I add commercial asset (39 year dep, not 27.5 yrs)?

• Click on the Business tab at the top of your screen
  • Continue, I'll Choose What I Work On, find 
  • Business Income and Expenses, click on start or update,
  • If you have already entered your business income and expenses click to Edit your business. This takes you to your businesses home page.
  • On this page scroll down to Business Assets, click start or update.
swaju01

I don't see a "business tab" at the top of my screen.  I'm using TurboTax online, Self-employed version.  In any case, the asset I need to depreciate is for a commercial building I own and rent to my business.  The building is a rental and the asset (an addition to the building) should be tied to the rental property, not the business.  I see where I can classify a rental property as "commercial" and maybe that would invoke the 39-year deprecation life, but, in this case, as I understand it, the rental property should be classified as a self-rental because I rent the property to my business.  When adding assets to depreciate to a rental property classified as "self rental", TurboTax seems to assume it's residential.  I say that because when I click to add an asset, the only real estate asset option specifically says "Residential Real Estate" and the depreciation life for the asset is 27.5 years.  An addition to a commercial building, should have a depreciation life of 39 years. If there's not a way to pick something in the usual user interface, is there a way I can modify the depreciation life directly in the return? 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Did you enter that it was a self-rental when your entered the Rental section? See the screen shot below.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies