turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dlaprea

I need confirmation if I should file my rental property in '19. The lease started in Nov., but I didn't receive any income until 2020 (first rent went to realtor)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I need confirmation if I should file my rental property in '19. The lease started in Nov., but I didn't receive any income until 2020 (first rent went to realtor)

Yes,  You should start posting your Rental in 2019 if that is when it went into service.  The income will still be that first month rent, but you can take the expenses and start depreciating the property. 

It is very important to depreciate the property from the very beginning.  First, you get a tax break, but when you sell the property the IRS will add all of the depreciation back WHETHER YOU TOOK IT OR NOT.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

If a rental payment was received, in 2019, even if it went directly to a realtor, you had gross rental income in 2019 and must report it.

The unit was considered placed in service when it was available to rent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies