turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

d0836

I'm confused as to how to fill out the information for the 1099-B on Turbotax. I redeemed some of my shares. And need to complete a form 8949.

The general responses aren't helpful. I don't know if this is considered a sale. I cashed out some of my mutual fund. What do I fill out? Turbotax is confusing when I get to the 1099-B form.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm confused as to how to fill out the information for the 1099-B on Turbotax. I redeemed some of my shares. And need to complete a form 8949.

Cashing out/redeeming/selling are all the same thing ... the 1099-B reports SALES of stock and you will enter them in the program exactly as the broker form reported them. 

Turbotax is confusing because there are options and then TurboTax 2019 does not apply them consistently

If your mutual fund sales do not show any adjustment codes (most likely) the simplest way is to use the summary option to enter your cost and proceeds by category.
That way, Form 8949 is not required.

Note: If any shares sold were acquired before 2012, it might be more complicated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies