Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just purchased a residential property to use in my short term rental business. Under Assets , there is only non-residential. Do I list as Improvement or non-res?

I'm adding this to Schedule C since this is an active business and not a passive rental property.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I just purchased a residential property to use in my short term rental business. Under Assets , there is only non-residential. Do I list as Improvement or non-res?

If this qualifies as a SCH C business (not all short term rentals do) then it's business property that gets depreciated over 39 or 40 years. (Can't recall which).

Rental property, including short term in some cases, is normally reported on SCH E and the residential type gets depreciated over 27.5 years.

On of the main criteria for short term rental property to qualify as a SCH C business is that you must provide services to the tenant that are predominantly beneficial to the tenant. For example, housekeeping services, laundry services, cooking, etc. (cleaning the property between tenants is not generally considered predominantly beneficial to the tenant unfortunately.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies