Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JBalchun

I installed an EV charging station at my rental unit. Would this be considered a business EV station where the limit is 30% or 30K, or is it a personal use 30%/ 1K?

The rental unit is a townhoues, single family home.

If it is business, how do i get to that page on Turbo Tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I installed an EV charging station at my rental unit. Would this be considered a business EV station where the limit is 30% or 30K, or is it a personal use 30%/ 1K?

Since your rental unit is subject to a depreciation allowance, you'd be subject to the 30%/$30,000 limitation.  See Amount of Credit in the Instructions for Form 8911

You'll have to report the credit on Form 3800, so you'll need to complete Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit outside of TurboTax, then enter the information from the form in TurboTax. See the instructions in the first link above and the Instructions for Form 3800 for guidance.

To enter this business credit in TurboTax Online:

1. If you don’t see 2022 TAXES in the left pane, select the dropdown to the right of Income & Expenses on the Hi, let’s keep working on your taxes! page and then select Let’s get startedPick up where you left off, or Review/Edit. 
    • Otherwise, in the left pane, select Federal, then Wages & Income (This is labelled Income & Expenses in TurboTax Self-Employed)
  2. Scroll down and select the Show more dropdown to the right of Other Business Situations
  3. Select  Start or Revisit to the right of Business Credits
  4. Select  Visit All on the Other Business Credits page
  5. Scroll through the pages until you come to the Any General Business Credits? page
  6. On the Form 3800 inset screen, scroll down to Line 1s Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit (Form 8911)
  7. Enter the Credit from line 7 of Form 8911 in line 1, and enter any relevant passive activity information in line 2 amount in box 2
  8. Select  Continue
  9. On the  General Business Credit Status page, you'll see the credit you're entitled to.  Select Continue
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies