turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have Vacation Home Loss Limitations on Depreciation for a rental property. When the property sells, will I need to pay Recapture on the Loss Limitations?

@Carl wrote:

"Passive Activity Loss Limitation" instead of the "Vacation Home Loss Limitations"

For most (and most likely for you too) rental income you receive for real estate is passive income, 

That is not axiomatic; it is not always the case, particularly with respect to vacation homes (see Section 280A).

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p925#en_US_2022_publink1000104578

The following aren’t passive activities.

.....The rental of a dwelling unit that you also used for personal purposes during the year for more than the greater of 14 days or 10% of the number of days during the year that the home was rented at a fair rental.

cmg1
Level 3

I have Vacation Home Loss Limitations on Depreciation for a rental property. When the property sells, will I need to pay Recapture on the Loss Limitations?

So, it sounds like a glitch in TTax program where it includes non-allowed (Vacation Home Loss Limitation) depreciation in the total allowed when it calculates the depreciated basis for the sale? If so, any way to bring this t o TTax's attention as anyone not catching this ispaying more tax than they should?

Carl

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies