Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcusce

I have to pay capital gains on the sale of my rental. Where can I deduct the home improvement expenses needed to sell the home?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I have to pay capital gains on the sale of my rental. Where can I deduct the home improvement expenses needed to sell the home?

The cost of improvements to your home is added to the cost basis of your home. It will thus reduce your capital gains.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The cost of improvements to your home is added to the cost basis of your home. It will thus reduce your capital gains.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Property improvements are not deducted. Not ever. Property improvements are entered in the assets/depreciation section and depreciated over time. Then when you sell the property you are required by law to recapture all depreciation taken and pay taxes on it in the year you sell.

If you did not depreciate your property improvements, then  you are required to reduce your cost basis by the amount of depreciation you "should" have taken.

So if you didn't depreciate your property improvements, go ahead and enter them in the assets/depreciation section with their "real" date placed in service, even if in a prior year. The program will then take care of it for you by reducing your cost basis in the end when all done, then "recapturing" that depreication and taxing it appropriately. Recaptured depreciation is taxed anywhere from 0% to a maximum of 25% depending on your overal AGI for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies