Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

phlow2001

When entering rental property expenses, all entered amounts (cleaning, repair, etc) get split between rental and personal use. Why can't I force an expense into rental?

I started renting my property in october of last year.  I have cleaning and repair expenses that occurred during those rental months.  Turbo Tax wants to split those expenses between rental and personal use.  That seems wrong to me.  Is it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When entering rental property expenses, all entered amounts (cleaning, repair, etc) get split between rental and personal use. Why can't I force an expense into rental?

Unless it went back-and-forth between rental use and personal use, you should enter zero personal days.  The question wants to know how many personal days the property was used after it was converted to a rental property.

You will then need to manually prorate the mortgage interest and real estate taxes between personal use (Jan-Sept) and rental use (Oct-Dec).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Unless it went back-and-forth between rental use and personal use, you should enter zero personal days.  The question wants to know how many personal days the property was used after it was converted to a rental property.

You will then need to manually prorate the mortgage interest and real estate taxes between personal use (Jan-Sept) and rental use (Oct-Dec).

sss3d

This honestly don't help at all.  Doesn't answer his question.

His problem was that the expenses were being divided between rental use and person use.  It was doing that because he entered personal days, so entering zero personal days allowed all amounts entered to be used as 100% rental expenses.
macmom
Returning Member

Since this year was not completely for rental (not personal use) the way to allocate those expenses to the rental is to list them as "other" expenses. (You can see this on the actual forms.) You can list as many as needed.  However, if those expenses were for things that you used then perhaps letting TT allocate for rental/personal use is correct.
indrgun

I have the same exact case where I would like to list rental repairs expense incurred starting December last year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies