turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BOD
Returning Member

I have rental propeties in CA. Do I have to file 1099-NEC even if the income and expenses of CA rentals were already given in the rentals and royals summary?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I have rental propeties in CA. Do I have to file 1099-NEC even if the income and expenses of CA rentals were already given in the rentals and royals summary?

Are you asking if you have to send 1099-NEC to individuals or if you have to report your income that was issued on a 1099-NEC?

If you received a 1099-NEC with rental income on it, that is incorrect. Your rental income should be reported in Box 1 of 1099-MISC. You would need to get a corrected version.

Specific Instructions for Form 1099-NEC

File Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation (NEC), for each person in the course of your business to whom you have paid the following during the year:

• At least $600 in:

1. Services performed by someone who is not your employee (including parts and materials) (box 1);

2. Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish (box 1); or

3. Payments to an attorney (box 1). (See Payments to attorneys, later.)

If your rental doesn't rise to the level of a business, you do not need to issue the form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies