Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wilcox_86

I have rental property where I entered Mortgage interest, real estate taxes etc. Now it is asking to enter Mortgage Interest and real estate taxes for my deductions

Is this "double dipping"?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

I have rental property where I entered Mortgage interest, real estate taxes etc. Now it is asking to enter Mortgage Interest and real estate taxes for my deductions

Yes, if you entered the full amount of your rental mortgage interest and real estate taxes on your rental property under the rental section, then you will not re-enter this information under the personal deductions and credit section.

If you were to include the full amounts in both places (under the rental section and under the personal deductions section), then you would be "double dipping' (by claiming the full amounts in 2 different places on your tax return) and this is not allowed by the IRS.

However, for some taxpayers whose rental property was either a conversion of a personal residence during the tax year or was not available for rent for the entire year, they will need to allocate the rental property's mortgage interest between the rental section (Schedule E) and the personal deductions section (Schedule A). This is due to the fact that the IRS allows a taxpayer to claim mortgage interest (on one rental property) and property taxes on a rental property that were not available to be deducted under rental expenses as part of a taxpayer's itemized (Schedule A) deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies