Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have rental income that in all prior years was reported in Box 1 of the 1099-misc. This year the realty company, new to me this year, reported it in Box 7.

I disagree with the entry of rental income as Nonemployee compensation but the realty company is adamant that it should be in Box 7.
How do I handle this situation?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
view2

I have rental income that in all prior years was reported in Box 1 of the 1099-misc. This year the realty company, new to me this year, reported it in Box 7.

This seems to be a common fault with rental management companies and creates an unnecessary  hassle for the property owner of a simple rental income entry.

Box 1. Rents

Enter amounts of $600 or more for all types of rents, such as any of the following.

Real estate rentals paid for office space. However, you do not have to report these payments on Form 1099-MISC if you paid them to a real estate agent. But the real estate agent must use Form 1099-MISC to report the rent paid over to the property owner. See Regulations section 1.6041-1(e)(5), Example 5.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099msc/ar01.html#d0e593

The IRS expect the income as reported on the 1099 to be on the correct Schedule .

A 1099 from a property management company is supposed to show the GROSS collections rather than the net amount. See Treasury Regulation 1.6041-1(f)(1) as well as Example 5 under 1.6041-1(e)(5).

Box 7 is used for payments to independent contractors.

For the Worst-Case Scenario

The management company refuses to re-issue the 1099?

Created a Schedule C and showed the box 7 income as income. Then, under “other expenses”  showed a corresponding expense called “1099 issued in error” so that the Schedule C netted out to $0.

Then Properly report the gross  rental income on Schedule E.

Management fees are a rental property deduction

View solution in original post

1 Reply
view2

This seems to be a common fault with rental management companies and creates an unnecessary  hassle for the property owner of a simple rental income entry.

Box 1. Rents

Enter amounts of $600 or more for all types of rents, such as any of the following.

Real estate rentals paid for office space. However, you do not have to report these payments on Form 1099-MISC if you paid them to a real estate agent. But the real estate agent must use Form 1099-MISC to report the rent paid over to the property owner. See Regulations section 1.6041-1(e)(5), Example 5.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099msc/ar01.html#d0e593

The IRS expect the income as reported on the 1099 to be on the correct Schedule .

A 1099 from a property management company is supposed to show the GROSS collections rather than the net amount. See Treasury Regulation 1.6041-1(f)(1) as well as Example 5 under 1.6041-1(e)(5).

Box 7 is used for payments to independent contractors.

For the Worst-Case Scenario

The management company refuses to re-issue the 1099?

Created a Schedule C and showed the box 7 income as income. Then, under “other expenses”  showed a corresponding expense called “1099 issued in error” so that the Schedule C netted out to $0.

Then Properly report the gross  rental income on Schedule E.

Management fees are a rental property deduction

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies