Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wgoggan

I have mineral rights that are paid by oil companies the forms they send me are 1099-MISC with the amount filled into Box 2 Royalties. How to enter this in TT?

It seems TT only thinks 1099-MISC is for work when clearly box 2 is for royalties and this is how all of these companies report the money I have received from them.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

I have mineral rights that are paid by oil companies the forms they send me are 1099-MISC with the amount filled into Box 2 Royalties. How to enter this in TT?

Here are the steps to enter your 1099-MISC Box 2:

• Sign into your TurboTax account and click Take me to my return
  • In the Search box (upper right of program) search 1099 misc
  • Click the "Jump to 1099 misc" link from results
  • You will be in the correct area to enter your 1099-MISC with a Box 2

NOTE: There are two places in TurboTax to enter 1099-MISC and you want to enter your 1099-MISC under Other Common Income, not Self-Employment in order to see Box 2

Depending on the source of the income, you may be prompted to upgrade TurboTax

Click on screenshots below for more detail

View solution in original post

3 Replies
wgoggan

Thanks for the tip about accessing form 1099-MISC directly and that did the trick. However it still said I needed an upgrade to handle this situation. That is not really an option for me because the income is so low these days that it isn't worth the upgrade. It seems strange this is significantly different from 1099-MISC with income in box 7.
PatriciaR

I understand your situation.  Your particular 1099-MISC is reported on Schedule E which is only supported in Premier whereas income in Box 7 would require a further upgrade to Self-Employment. Your other option would be to switch from TurboTax Online to TurboTax CD/Download, any version of the desktop program would support your 1099-MISC except Basic. I hope this helps.
PatriciaR

Here are the steps to enter your 1099-MISC Box 2:

• Sign into your TurboTax account and click Take me to my return
  • In the Search box (upper right of program) search 1099 misc
  • Click the "Jump to 1099 misc" link from results
  • You will be in the correct area to enter your 1099-MISC with a Box 2

NOTE: There are two places in TurboTax to enter 1099-MISC and you want to enter your 1099-MISC under Other Common Income, not Self-Employment in order to see Box 2

Depending on the source of the income, you may be prompted to upgrade TurboTax

Click on screenshots below for more detail

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies