turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

villajudy

I have form 8949 from td ameritrade reporting a liquidation dividend …..where does it get entered onTT?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have form 8949 from td ameritrade reporting a liquidation dividend …..where does it get entered onTT?

A liquidating distribution is treated in the same fashion as a "return of capital": it reduces your basis in the investment.  As long as your basis remains positive this is an entry that you only need to make in your own records, it's not entered in the income tax return. 

If a liquidating distribution is sufficient to drive the basis number negative, i.e., a "profit", then report the liquidating distribution as "proceeds" against the remaining basis using the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview, telling TurboTax that you did not receive a 1099-B.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

A liquidating distribution is treated in the same fashion as a "return of capital": it reduces your basis in the investment.  As long as your basis remains positive this is an entry that you only need to make in your own records, it's not entered in the income tax return. 

If a liquidating distribution is sufficient to drive the basis number negative, i.e., a "profit", then report the liquidating distribution as "proceeds" against the remaining basis using the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview, telling TurboTax that you did not receive a 1099-B.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies