Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwt642

I have an out of state rental property. It is showing up on my state tax return. Should I remove it? How do I remove it?

I am in the military.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I have an out of state rental property. It is showing up on my state tax return. Should I remove it? How do I remove it?

As a general rule, active-duty military (and their spouses) file a resident tax return in their state of legal residence when stationed on PCS orders outside that state.They are also taxed on whatever income they have, no matter where it comes from (many exempt military pay from taxable income).

California takes a different and more beneficial approach. An individual domiciled in California when entering the military is considered to be a nonresident while stationed outside California on PCS orders.

How does this affect their taxes?

All income received or earned prior to departure is subject to tax by California.  

After departure, only income from California sources is subject to tax by California.

Nonresidents are generally not taxed by California on income from intangibles, such as dividends from stocks or interest from bonds or bank accounts. 

You have to answer the Personal Interview questions carefully, though. You would still identify yourself as a resident of California, and answer "No" when asked if you "Lived in another state in 2016?" You would, however, answer "Yes" when asked if you "Earned money in another state in 2016?" That would be the rental income.

The CA state tax interview should recommend that you file Resident return, but give you the choice of changing your filing status to Non-resident.

See D on page 3 of the following: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2016/16_1032.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ToddL

Where is the property and what is your home of record state (i.e. where you are filing a return)?
mwt642

Property is in Washington where I am stationed. Home of record is California.
ToddL

As a general rule, active-duty military (and their spouses) file a resident tax return in their state of legal residence when stationed on PCS orders outside that state.They are also taxed on whatever income they have, no matter where it comes from (many exempt military pay from taxable income).

California takes a different and more beneficial approach. An individual domiciled in California when entering the military is considered to be a nonresident while stationed outside California on PCS orders.

How does this affect their taxes?

All income received or earned prior to departure is subject to tax by California.  

After departure, only income from California sources is subject to tax by California.

Nonresidents are generally not taxed by California on income from intangibles, such as dividends from stocks or interest from bonds or bank accounts. 

You have to answer the Personal Interview questions carefully, though. You would still identify yourself as a resident of California, and answer "No" when asked if you "Lived in another state in 2016?" You would, however, answer "Yes" when asked if you "Earned money in another state in 2016?" That would be the rental income.

The CA state tax interview should recommend that you file Resident return, but give you the choice of changing your filing status to Non-resident.

See D on page 3 of the following: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2016/16_1032.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies