turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

assmanbbq

I have an Airbnb room. Where do I enter the "occupancy taxes" I paid? Is it an "expense" under the rental income, or "taxes" in some other section?

I live in Seattle, and have seen conflicting information on where to enter the taxes that were deducted from my Airbnb payments. Some say it counts as an expense, some say it counts as an additional tax payment. Any info appreciated
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

I have an Airbnb room. Where do I enter the "occupancy taxes" I paid? Is it an "expense" under the rental income, or "taxes" in some other section?

The occupancy taxes that you pay on behalf of your guests are deductible as an expense on your Schedule E. They are not deductible on your Schedule A under Taxes You Paid. They should be reported on Line 16 Taxes on your Schedule E if you are reporting the income on Schedule E or Line 23 on Schedule C if you are reported the income on that form.

Please review the TurboTax articles 10 Tax Tips for Airbnb, HomeAway & VRBO Vacation Rentals and Who Pays the Transient Occupancy Tax?

If you need more information, please send us another message.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

The occupancy taxes that you pay on behalf of your guests are deductible as an expense on your Schedule E. They are not deductible on your Schedule A under Taxes You Paid. They should be reported on Line 16 Taxes on your Schedule E if you are reporting the income on Schedule E or Line 23 on Schedule C if you are reported the income on that form.

Please review the TurboTax articles 10 Tax Tips for Airbnb, HomeAway & VRBO Vacation Rentals and Who Pays the Transient Occupancy Tax?

If you need more information, please send us another message.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
assmanbbq

Thanks very much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies