Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Curtis1

I have already reported rental income on the investment section of my rentals. Do I have to report it again for the home office deduction?

How do I deduct a home office if I already reported the income under investments?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I have already reported rental income on the investment section of my rentals. Do I have to report it again for the home office deduction?

Yes. You must report the amount of your income that comes from your home office.

The IRS says:

You must show that you use your home as your principal place of business. If you conduct business at a location outside of your home, but also use your home substantially and regularly to conduct business, you may qualify for a home office deduction.

If only 5% of your earned income comes from your home office, it would not support your contention that you use your home regularly and substantially to conduct business. Reporting the income derived from your home office is necessary to support your assertion that it fulfills the IRS requirements for a deduction.

For more information, see the following link: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/home-office-deduction

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Yes. You must report the amount of your income that comes from your home office.

The IRS says:

You must show that you use your home as your principal place of business. If you conduct business at a location outside of your home, but also use your home substantially and regularly to conduct business, you may qualify for a home office deduction.

If only 5% of your earned income comes from your home office, it would not support your contention that you use your home regularly and substantially to conduct business. Reporting the income derived from your home office is necessary to support your assertion that it fulfills the IRS requirements for a deduction.

For more information, see the following link: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/home-office-deduction

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies