Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a rental property in the UK. I have declared on my UK tax return the income. Do I need to report the rental incoming in the US as then I'll be taxed twice

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a rental property in the UK. I have declared on my UK tax return the income. Do I need to report the rental incoming in the US as then I'll be taxed twice

If you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you must report all interest, dividends, wages, or other compensation for services, income from rental property or royalties, and other types of income on your U.S. tax return. You must report these amounts whether they are earned within or outside the United States.

To avoid the double taxation, you can receive a foreign income tax credit or deduction for any income already taxed in another country.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi

I am in the same situation, I have a UK property, I receive rent but also get taxed on any profit (after mortgage interest and expenses)

In TurboTax, where do I enter my rental income and how do I receive the credits so not to be taxed twice?

Best Greg

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Rental property goes on Sch E. The foreign tax deduction goes on Sch A while the foreign tax credit goes against your actual tax liability.

You must pick one, either the deduction OR the credit. If you are not itemizing, you will take the foreign credit on Form 1116. If you are itemizing, I suggest trying it both ways to see which is better for you.

The easiest navigation is to select the magnifying glass/search tool in the upper right hand of your screen. The first solution will be a "Jump to" when available. Sometimes the key is choosing the right words to put in the search bar.

* Type rental property and you get  Jump to rental property.

*Type foreign tax deduction and you get Jump to foreign tax deduction.

* Type foreign tax credit and you get Jump to foreign tax credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies