shellyk23

I have a renovation company. We bought a flip house and it has not sold as of December 2018. Can I roll over the expenses for the job over to 2019 taxes?

We did only $6,000 in profits this year because we didn't finish the home by the end of the year and we didn't sell it yet.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Yes, and the expenses incurred should not be deducted until the year of the sale.

When you flip a home as a business, the cost of the home and all costs to renovate it should be listed under Purchases in the Cost of Good Sold area, and then listed in the ending inventory (until the year it is sold).

Then the year the flipped home is sold, it is offset against the income as Cost of Goods Sold (COGS).