Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

achusid

I have a property that was a rental from 2013-2015, primary residence from 2015-2017, and converted to a rental in 2018. How do I record the historical depreciation?

The 2018 depreciation should start with the ending 2015 net tax basis but how do I report that in TurboTax? Is there a screen to calculate accumulated depreciation that flows into Schedule E?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I have a property that was a rental from 2013-2015, primary residence from 2015-2017, and converted to a rental in 2018. How do I record the historical depreciation?

My scenario is a little different, because I disposed of the rental property this year 2018.  However, I will point you to a helpful white paper (also attached).  

https://www.natptax.com/TaxKnowledgeCenter/FederalTaxInformation/whitepapers/summaries/Documents/For...

Although old, and the Form 3115 has changed since the white paper was written, I was able (and I think you will be able) to figure out how to fill out the Form 3115.  Then, based on similar questions/answers in this exchange, enter the "unclaimed depreciation" on Schedule E as "other expenses" for this year's return.  

You will not be able to e-file.  You should download the instructions for Form 3115 because you will have to mail a copy of the Form 3115 and the required attachment to another Federal entity, and the address is in the instructions.  

Be sure to depreciate this year and all future years - you can only use the 3115 one time.  

3115 is not part of the step-by-step - you will have to Open Forms and complete it manually yourself.  (Hence the need for either a tax professional or the White Paper).  However, when I recorded the Sale of Business Property, TurboTax did correctly calculate the prior unclaimed depreciation using mid-month straight-line depreciation.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies