turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eloinew

I have a 50% interest in a rental property. Turbo Tax did not figure depreciation at 50% but is taking 100% of the cost. What do I do?

I put in 100% of expenses and 100% cost of depreciation and asked Turbo Tax to figure my percentage of 50%.  It is using the 100% of depreciation. Is that how it works or should it be only 50% of the depreciation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have a 50% interest in a rental property. Turbo Tax did not figure depreciation at 50% but is taking 100% of the cost. What do I do?

On that page where you entered "50%" there's a note:

================================================

Note:  The percentage you enter here applies only to your expenses.  The cost of your asset must be entered as the amount that represents your ownership.

================================================

Go back through the interview where the property cost information is elicited and divide all those number by 2.

Tom Young

JulieR
Expert Alumni

You should report your proportional share (50%) of the rent income and rent expenses on your individual income tax return.  You should also enter the same proportional share (50%) of the rental's basis to appropriately figure the depreciation. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies