Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jibaro10

I have 1099B's from another state i had no prior knowledge of this stock. how should file? my e-mail is xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I have 1099B's from another state i had no prior knowledge of this stock. how should file? my e-mail is xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx

Where the 1099-B's are from has no relevance to your tax returns.  What matters is when you lived when you received any income reported on them.  For instance, if you were living in Georgia the first half of the year, any interest, or dividends paid during that period would be taxable by Georgia.  If you then moved to Florida, the dividends, interest, capital gains, etc. your received during the second half of the year would not be taxable for state tax purposes, as Florida has not state income tax.  If you were living in the same state all year, then just enter the 1099-B's in your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jibaro10

Thanks for the reply but I was not clear in my question,i would like to know how I report unclaimed funds

that came with a 1099B

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Unclaimed funds or investments you received from a brokerage would not be taxable; however, if they were sold then you would have to report the sale.  You will need to determine a cost basis.  If you can't determine the cost basis, you can use zero.  Your holding period would long term, and for date of acquisition, you can use various.  If this doesn't answer your question, try being more specific and provide some details.

jibaro10

Thanks so much for the reply. These funds were released by the state of New York and were unknown to me

and were not sold to me as I had no knowledge of them. Therefore, is it safe to assume it is not taxable?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You have 1099-B forms and received money from NY. The IRS does know about it and it should be on your return. David is right about how to report the 1099-B form.

If you need more information, contact the issuer. The issuer was able to give you money and file an official form.

You may need to file a NY return as well. Please see page 7 for those rules from NY DOR

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies